Our club is involved in numerous activities throughout the year reflecting and addressing the broad interests and energy of our membership and visitors. Principally we host monthly general membership meetings (except for summer months) each anchored by special presentations from related subject matter individuals. (See our “Meeting Information” page for some of the recent topics). Some of the meetings involve hands on projects which are very popular.
Additional activities include —
- Organization and participation in our annual area Gem and Mineral Show (with other area Earth Science organizations — in March).
- At the March show members display their work, collections, etc. in club cases for the viewing pleasure and information of attendees.
- Participate in the Fall KC Gem and Mineral Show in November November Show KC Gem and Mineral Fall Show.
- An annual potluck summer picnic and auction for members, family and visitors.
- An annual catered year-end holiday party at a selected area venue for members, family and visitors.
- Numerous field trips throughout the region as a club, and at times with other area clubs and organizations.
- Liaison with other area and regional clubs.
- Participation as delegates in the Association of Earth Science Clubs of Greater Kansas City (primary organizer of the annual March show).
- Participation as a club member, delegates and attendees to the Rocky Mountain Federation of Mineralogical Societies (RMFMS) activities and annual conference.
- Participation as a RMFMS member to the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies (AFMS).
- Speakers/presenters upon request to various area groups.
- Placement of gem, mineral, and fossils, etc. displays upon request to various area libraries, schools, etc.
As activities occur throughout the year, photos of the events and participants are taken, and are posted when appropriate on this page.